Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What do Germans eat most?

Isn't it funny when you are away from a place or childhood home for a long time (it's been 12 years for me); how you start comparing the difference between that and your current home? Since I am such a food connoisseur, the first thing I noticed is how much MEAT the Germans eat. They literally have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak it into dessert! :)  Not that it's a bad thing. Their meat is usually very fresh, from the butcher, and probably was slaughtered that day (sorry for those of you with a vivid imagination!). So, you are getting the best of the best. Here are some of the typical German dishes that you would find in a restaurant or delicatessen that I was able to sample and enjoy.

Schnitzel 
 
Schnitzel is a dish that you will find in every German restaurant. It's a veal or pork cutlet that is coated with breadcrumbs and then baked or fried. Super delicious! It is usually served with a couple lemon slices and either some kind of potato dish or spätzle (soft, doughy type of egg noodles). 
Want to make your own? Check out one of my previous posts: Parmesan Pork Schnitzel

Bratwurst
 
A staple food in Germany is bratwurst (sausage). It is normally served with Pommes Frites (potato fries) and curry ketchup. My earliest memory of eating bratwurst, was at Oktoberfest when I was 5 years old. I had a little red German felt hat on, and a nearby horse kept trying to take a bite out of my bratwurst. Isn't it amazing the memories that stay imprinted in your brain from childhood? 

Leberknödel with Sauerkraut

The best way I can describe Leberknödel is the biggest meatballs you have ever seen! Literally, they are translated as Liver Dumplings, and are quite tasty. Probably not something I would eat on a regular basis, but when you are in Germany, you might as well eat as the Germans do. :) The Germans are really big into sauces as well. This is your typical brown sauce with a mound of sauerkraut on top of it. Of course sauerkraut is a typical German side dish as well and has an excellent flavor, not too vinegary.

German Salad 


 Don't these salads look terrific? This was probably my favorite thing to order. German "green" salads are different than a typical American one. They marinate a bunch of stuff in a vinegar solution like cut up cucumbers, cabbage, and carrots before they top it on the lettuce. The dressing is exceptional too! That will be my next task; searching for a dressing on the internet that is at least comparable. 

Döner Kebap  

I know, I know this meal is not "typical" German BUT they have these Turkish Kebap places EVERYWHERE there. Döner kebap is this giant vertical spit of roasted meat (traditionally lamb, but some places have a variety like chicken) that they shave pieces off from. The word Döner means "turning" and they definitely are constantly turning this spit to make sure the meat is browned on all sides. The shaved pieces of meat are tucked into a warm pita, and topped with tomatoes, cabbage, grated cucumber and then a dollop of cucumber-yogurt-dressing is generously poured on top. This was one of our favorite lunch items to eat...BUT don't expect to eat anything the rest of the day. They sure are filling!

Spaghetti Ice Cream

Hands down, this is my favorite dessert of all times. I get a chuckle every time I put a spoonful in my mouth, because I'm eating something that looks like spaghetti, but is really vanilla ice cream pushed through a type of spaghetti strainer. So, here is how they assemble this thing. They start with a mountain of whipped cream in the middle, top it with the ice cream strands, pour strawberry or raspberry sauce over top of it, and then shaved white chocolate for the "paremsan." LOVE IT!!! It makes my mouth water, just thinking about it!    


So, this is just a fraction of the kinds of things you can get when you visit Germany, but hopefully you were able to at least get a "taste" of what you might find there. I hope you have enjoyed your little tour of German eating, and starting next week, I will be posting our regular meal plan meals.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome, Kristina! Those meals sure do take me back to my childhood, too. And Spaghetti Eis! YAY! Best dessert ever! That whipped cream in the middle is just brilliant, don't you think? Thanks for posting all the meals, you really got it all right!

Brenda said...

Oh man! This all looks delicious. I agree with Carmen-- share any recipes you have!

Anonymous said...

After looking at all these dishes, I just had to have a schnitzel at the lake this last extremely warm week. OMA

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails